Thread: Reloading
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Shooting Xs

Unless you have an experienced mentor to teach you ,first thing I would buy is a book called " The ABC's of Reloading", read it, then read it again.
The Lee kits ,bought mine real cheap to start out ,still use the powder measure daily ,for drop and trickle to weight. The press gets used for one cartridge ,.204 R with Lee dies. but it is really nice for the de-priming catch system. The rest of the kit was sold cheap or gave away.
I can pretty much say the same for the Rockchucker kit ,sold the powder dispenser ,the crap 5-0-5 made in Mexico scale ,used the hand priming tool for a few years ,no complaints there and small stuff. Replaced the scale with an older RCBS Ohaus made in the USA 5-10 scale and the primer with Lee's new bench mount.
Like most things these days ,most of this equipment is offshore made or casted ,then finished in USA . For a single stage I wouldn't hesitate buying the Lee heavy cast Classic ,say what you will about Lee ,but at least it's made in USA. The Dillon's for volume loading semi's.
That Forster co-ax is really nice ,agreed ,but a little pricey for starting out.
A kit will get you going ,and depending how far you want to get into reloading, you'll probably sell or upgrade as you go anyway ,once you figure things out.
You'll be able afford it with ALL THE MONEY YOU'LL SAVE RELOADING...lol.
I enjoy the hobby.
Welcome to the Money pit.