View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Generally, 1500 fpe is recommended for elk. But, it is only 1 factor. Anywhere from a 270 to 300 wm is reasonable. The big four posted above are great if you are looking for an all around hunting rifle that is adequate for elk. If you are looking for an elk specific caliber (sorry cartridge) a 300 wm or 338 wm is pretty ideal - but they are harder to shoot accurately due to recoil. I would suggest a 30-06 or 7mm Rem mag as that is the upper limit of what most people can shoot accurately.

I have a 7 mm Rem mag myself and hope to get a 35 Whelen some day for no good reason at all. I also have a 243 for coyote and deer that i supposedly bought for my daughter . I'm breaking it in for her.

Rifle fit is very important, try to shoot your friends rifles before you buy. A 300 wm that fits you in a reasonable weight rifle can easily have less perceived recoil than a 30-06 in a lightweight that doesn't.

There are many good used deals listed on here. If the price is too close to new, go with the new. I'm partial to Tikkas myself and Sakos, but Tikkas are available for what I'm willing to spend. I would suggest finding a rifle you like, watch for a used one in any reasonable caliber and shoot it lots to make sure you are accurate enough with it and that it's recoil is tolerable. When you are at the range, shoot anyone's rifle who offers. You'll find what you like, have fun along the way and figure out what you like, and it's cheaper than buying new. If you know what you want and plan to keep it for a long time (forever) then buy new.

Enjoy yourself!