View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 08:24 PM

There's enough lines changing hands when you get further from the cities. Lots (not all) of people that complain about the line prices have a pretty defined idea of where THEY want to trap. That demand drives the price up. Ironic hey?

I grew up in Northern Alberta and never knew anyone that wanted to trap that wasn't able to get into it, either by owning a line or jr on a line or just helping out. Maybe a line wasn't available near the homestead, but they are available. I was one who kept passing on getting my own line 'cause I was always looking for the closest to home, or the nicest location. When I got serious it didn't take long to get a line for a reasonable dollar, I just had to be willing to trap it...which meant commit to the season. Many lines up here are owned by First Nations, either individually or as a nation, yet people still start up and find lines every year.

On to the 10 000 buck challenge. No one is going to post up their receipts for your amusement, but out of the trapping regs and last sale average here you go:

4 twp Northern AB line

Quota

4 otter @ 60 = 240
22Lynx @ 100 = 2200
18 fisher @ 80 = 1440
1 wolverine @ 500 = 500 private sale

so if you max the quota $4300. probably would be more reasonable to cut 1/3 off that.

Also throw in
50 Marten @ 55 = 2750(I usually see above $80ea from my line due to size and colour etc)
10 coyotes @ 60 = 600 I know the last auction sucked, but I sell at the spring one usually and have been luckier so far
5 wolf @ 100 = 100(plus) got lots of these around if you want to do more
4 fox @ 50 = 200

So we're around 7000 and that's on the low side. With good fur handling and at the right sale your already at 10 000. If not break out the hard work and make it up with beaver and muskrat.