View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 12:46 PM

Default my German heritage

As a young girl I used to watch my dad smoke quite an assortment of eats. He came from "old" Germany. His family owned a bakery in Berlin. Funny, you would think I had a knack for baking but my cakes come out flat, cooking is my forte. Anyways back to smoking, in those old times preserving food was very important so the old ways were a must for us girls (my sister and I) to learn.

One of my favourite German suppers was Kassler Rippchen (smoked pork chops) They are made from the center loin cut (I have tried this with bear, and yes it is amazing)

Now you can keep the loin whole and slice later or slice into chops first, it is strictly your preference. (I like to slice first).

You begin with a brine and the meat is in this for about 2-3 days (again it will depend on if you have left in whole or chops).....try and remember to turn the meat at least once a day.

BRINE
4 c. water
3 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. curing salt (Morton’s Tender Quick)
1 Tbsp. juniper berries
1 Tbsp. coriander seeds
Small handful of Sage leaves, Marjoram or Thyme
8 bay leaves crushed
1 apple sliced
12 garlic cloves crushed
1 half sliced white onion

In a pot heat water, Bay leaf, Juniper berries and Coriander seeds let it simmer.
Turn off the heat and add the salt, sugar and curing salt, stir until dissolved.
Let it cool.

Once the brine process is completed, get your smoker ready. I like to use apple wood just because it melds nicely with pork.

Time and Temp:
4 options
...1) cold smoke...120 degrees...12 hours (whole loin)
...2) cold smoke...120-185 degrees... 8 hours (chops)
...3) heat smoke..225 degrees...6-8 hours (whole loin)
...4) heat smoke..225 degrees...2-3 hours (chops)

Once the chops are smoked you are ready to add the rest of a wonderful traditional German meal ......Kassler Rippchen mit Sauerkraut.

I do make my own sauerkraut, red cabbage, kale, spaetzle, dumplings...all the sides dishes that pair nicely with this smoked pork chop. My hubby like to have sauerkraut and dumplings.