View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Is the proposed ban not on the premise that it is needed because there is no regulation? I see that as putting the onus on those interested to find adequate regulations and put forth a solid plan for the future of the sport. Archery wasn't permitted without regulation. This just evens the playing field and holds other groups to the same standard! You want to hunt? Use a regulated weapon.
This is painful reading through all the bickering. Focus on a goal together. I have not read one post saying it should be out-right banned. Stop pointing fingers, and work together. I must say, I now have more interest in a spear and atlatl, but if nobody comes up with regulations I won't know what I'm missing and I'll stick to my bow.
I suppose the problem with spears and atlatl's comes down to the user. Other than implementing a minimumum sharp broad head standard and weight it is up to the user. On the same token my spear of just under 4lbs. dropped (which a 4 year old could do) from a tree at 20ft has more kinetic energy than most bows.

One can put all the regulations out in the world and there will still be ways for them to fail. Would you suggest hunting elk with a 243 with 58gr. Varmint rounds? It is legal by the book and is more than likely done more per year than there is spear or atlatl hunters. Point is eventually common sence comes into play and hunters need to use it. Hunters are taught to make a humane kill, if one isn't strong enough to use a spear than they shouldn't use one.