View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 03:01 PM

There has never been an absolute shred of proof or any DNA testing done that proves Silver Labs have been crossbred with anything. Just a lot of speculation and hearsay acusations that Weimaraners are to blame for the introduction of the dd gene into Labs. From what I have read the truth is it has probably been there along but was rare. Both the Newfoundland and Chesapeake breeds carry the dd gene, both breeds are developed from the same original Saint John's Water Dog as was the original Labrador breed. So if the dd gene is present in them then why not in the Labrador breed? If it was introduced in the Labrador breed by another breed then it is more likely to have come from Chesapeake Bays that where cross breed with Labradors very early in the 1900's then from cross breeding with Weimaraners in the 1950ies as some state. The main reason it didn't show for so long is because Chocolate Labs where frond upon and often culled by breeders as where yellows at one time. It was not util the Chocolate color began to gain in popularity and more and more breeding of them resulted in finally 2 dogs with the right combination of genes resulted in the Silver colors. Go back and look at pictures of any so called pure bred dog from the early turn of the century including our beloved Labradors and see how they have completely changed in looks since the original standards have been laid down way back when. In my opinion only, dogs that are strictly bred for show or dogs strictly bred for field trials only have done more harm to the overall original Labrador breed as a pure hunting dog, then the popularity of any color combination coming along.
So which is the true Labrador?
I honestly ask you experts then which of these....Only the Black English Lab and do you include Yellow and Chocolates or the only Black American Style Labs and do you include Yellows and Chocolates, meets the CKC, AKC and the British Kennel Club Standards best?
I believe that the Silver Color or more importantly the dd gene which causes Silver, Champagne and Charcoal color Labs is here to stay in North American Labs at least...Only my opinion of course but I see no way now of avoiding it unless every Breeder does extensive DNA testing on their breeding pairs.
Bottom line is I toss a dummy my dog goes and gets it...I shot a duck my dog goes and gets it....I'm happy.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."