View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
We choreographed Weatherby factory Ammo versus hand loads punching paper with 2 of our 257WBY's and the factory loads seemed to be all +/- 40-50 fps or so. Hand loads were not much different actually - slightly better of course, but not that much if memory serves me correctly.

The velocity was, however, lower than what was listed, by 80-90 fps (for factory ammo).

I'm no expert - and don't know if that's typical or not for "premium" ammo but both rifles shot moa and the hand loads*** seemed a little better - but again, marginally.

***This was also a load he had developed over a few sessions that was on the top end of towards the high pressure maxes.
Read the small print!
Weatherby’s are quoted as from a 26” barrel, with copious free bore included.

And chronograph’s have at least 1.0% to 2% instrumental error from one to another. Let’s see, 3300fps x 0.02= 66 FPS

It’s a number, plain and simple, how one number compares to the next, or even the next 20 is what’s gonna matter.

You can therorize, pontificate, and beat your finger tips raw calculating all the numbers out there. At the end of it all under field conditions, with adrenaline coursing through your veins, is it gonna matter that much?

The OP was about a very extreme situation, which I think was driven by some serious mis quoting of misunderstood results, and is far from typical.

There are no absolutes