View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Pre-scouting is important if you want to get a lay of the land, but knocking on doors in Aug wont result in a ton of permission if conditions are dry and fire hazard is present. Most landowners will want you to call or stop in a couple days before the hunt to verify conditions and access requirements. Your time can be better spent learning the country and figuring out where you want to hunt, and then making a list of the landowners you want to see before the hunt.

Spend some time on the lease land map and you can figure out some of the bigger tracts of land. Put some miles on and you'll realize quickly how many bucks you can look over in that zone before finding the 'right' one. A lot get shot on the first day, but spending the entire week is sure a way of finding and looking at a ton of different bucks.

That zone has the ability for you to drive around all day and glass antelope from the truck or hike all day long and never see a road. Tailor the hunt to what you want out of it. Dont be in a rush, but if you find a really good buck before season, then dont be afraid to try and get it done in the first hour of opening day. Last time I hunted 102/118 we chased around a really good one at first light, and then I shot a buck a little after lunch on day 1. My buddy shot his on day 4 or 5 after a really good hunt with a ton of laughs.

Amazing part of the province and a truly awesome critter to hunt.
Tons of good info here.