View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Well , as 57 year old beginner rider, I can't tell you to much as I have nothing to compare it with. I wanted a dual sport in order to explore a bit of highway, forestry roads and easy back trails. I have no interest in motocross type riding with jumps and aggressive riding as i am not in the greatest shape and have knee issues and such. Just want to ride casually at my pace.
I decided to buy a used bike as I was not sure if I would even enjoy it and that way I was not into a $6000.00+ unit. It was hard to find a reasonably priced bike, but I ended up with this 1996 Suzuki DR350ES. So far it has been a joy to ride with great fuel mileage. A bigger tank would be nice! My bike runs great so far. The only issue I have, is with me and my lack of experience and confidence in riding on gravel roads or soft sand/dirt. I don't understand how the bike reacts and I want to tense up and hang on for dear life in those conditions even when going slow.I'm scared to fall and dump the bike and get seriously injured. I know most would probably say If I am that scared or uncertain, I should not be riding. I am good on pavement, just the other stuff is the issue.
Anyway I love my bike and I will keep trying at my pace until I understand how to ride in those conditions.
Thanks to all that have guided me in my purchase and the shifting issue.
Its never to late to start riding
The biggest piece of advice I would give? Relax. Dont tense up. If you are nervous, slow down. Practice. You will only get better and in turn your confidence will build.
No bikes are made for gravel roads. Period. None