View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
IMHO it has everything to do with the attitudes of the anglers and SRD in Alberta. Allot of anglers here only want to only catch and eat/release big fish (case in point this thread!) and the SRD regs, which I have a hard time understanding the logic, made it law to only keep the large fish by making it illegal to keep a fish under a certain size.

To me, it make sense that if you only keep the large fish with the fishing pressure in Alberta (anglers to bodies of water) you are going to eventually decimate your fishing waters! This is not rocket dentistry here.
Well, Dave, I know what you're trying to convey...However, we must remember that these fish are stocked on a yearly basis. It is not as if we are decimating the large breeding population of native walleye or pike for example. We are simply waiting for the trout (which do not reproduce in these lakes) to get bigger. All anglers like big fish, plain and simple. Delayed harvest and reduced stocking rates will never decimate a "stocked" stillwater trout fishery in Alberta. There will always be smaller fish...the ones that get stocked every year.