View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 12:35 PM

Default Greetings from Pharmer

Just joined as I found this site of interest. While I have lived in Ohio, Wisconsin, Kansas, Indiana and now back to Kansas my recreational interest has been fishing in Canada. Initially (1961) in Ontario, Winnepeg River/Locke Bay but then stepped out into what was then wilderness (1970) Mirond Lake in Saskatchewan on the 55th parallel. This was before the Hanson Lake Rd was built, or at least much of it.

Early in those visits north I was honored to run into A. Karras who had just published "North to Cree Lake" which included a visit to Mirond Lake. Karras was again visiting Mirond while we were camped there. I was fortunate to have him autograph a paperback copy of "North to Cree Lake" which I loaned out too many times until it was well worn. To prevent further damage I bought a second copy from Amazon and gave the autographed copy to my son who was just 6 months old on our first trip to Mirond. In 2015, 45 years after our first visit we made our last trek to the area as my wife's health no longer permits us to travel. During that time the area went from "primitive" to modern - so sad...