View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Hey guys, I picked up a Tikka in 7mm-08 yesterday to replace my wife's 6.5CM. It's a 22" barrel with a 1:9.5 twist.

Just curious what anyone else has had experience with or could recommend. I don't load anything in 7mm so I would be buying projectiles from scratch.

Shes not comfortable taking shots outside of 300yds so i'm not looking for a cartridge that will perform best long range.

I'm hoping to develop something lighter for deer and something heavier for moose and elk.

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks.

I found some ridiculous accuracy with Reloder 15, CCI 200, and 120gr NBT @3025-3040 fps from 22” barrel. In the process of loading it down a tad for a small twelve year old working on their Hunter Ed course [emoji16]

It’s discussed at length on all sorts of forums how that bullet jacket is thicker because of requests from the silhouette crowd (old boxes of 100 count are thin, current boxes of 50 ct have same jacket as 150gr, but since the top tapered portion is trimmed, the 120 is thick throughout). Many online accounts of use on bull elk but that’s not what I load it for.
For the lighter purpose you describe, it’s an option well worth considering. May be best to get a single bullet for all manner of game though and just get to know where that one shoots.
7mm-08 has an embarrassment of riches for bullet and powder selection! I say find one you like and giv’r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk