View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
I have noticed that a gun will have many accurate nodes throughout the velocity range. Nodes will vary in size where some are large and lenient, and others are small and finicky. There will several nodes when looking at overall length as well as looking at powder amounts. The trick is reading the data and finding them.

I have missed nodes completely with too large a jump in powder or seating depth increments. I have chosen 0.003" increments for this reason. Dean has chosen 0.005"-0.010" while others choose 0.025" and 0.030". Too small an increment are you wasting resources, too large an increment and you miss things.

In the past I used a beta chrony and noticed potential for erratic results based on cloud cover and other environmental condition. While good info could be gleaned from the data, I now use a Labradar and feel the information is more consistent and accurate. It is a great tool for finding and maintaining nodes. If my rifle likes 2900fps I will try to keep that velocity. This means reducing powder when environmental temperatures rise, and increasing powder when temperatures drop.
So could you in theory rather than looking at accuracy find the most consistent velocity and that would equate to the best accuracy? This way you take the shooter and environmental effects out of the equation. Or a consistent velocity doesn't always equate to consistent accuracy? Thinking of the physics and seems velocity should be the most important factor.

Also you reduce and increase powder based on temperature for a hunting round? Seems a bit excessive as you would need to keep everything organized throughout the day.