View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Default the pleasure of elk hunting

It's my first elk season in which I've decided not to go mental and push myself to the limit, burn mega gas and spend every spare second in the bush scouting. I am getting a little too old and broken down to do this the way I traditionally do.
Thirty years, that's how long I've suffered my "september breakdown" The only complaint I have is my physical condition is such that I now have to consider that pain now trumps pleasure. My arthritis is so bad in my hands and shoulders that I can no longer shoot my bow, so I now use a crossbow (which I hate) the damned thing is like dragging a boat anchor through the bush!
But after thinking about what I really enjoy about elk hunting is the hunt itself now I go into the familiar places that I know very well and enjoy what the day gives me.
After taking 13 of these beautiful creatures over the years I believe I've had my share and any future success will be extra gravy.
I've been out a couple times so far and this new attitude is making for a great season.