View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papirus View Post
20 Rounds,Remington Premier Scirocco - 30-06 springfield 150gr, cost only $44,so each round about $2.20... My question is when you make your own ammo how much it would cost? each? same caliber same amount of powder and same bullet....seems like making your ammo can be badly hurt result or blow up your rifle barrel.... i dont know man, i think its not worth to make your own ammo... accept if you shooting 200+ and living in really romote area... somebody pls let me know the cost... or you can send wht ever ammo you make and how much is it on the market pack of it...
Here is a quick calculations of my cost for 308 Win.

Brass if I had to buy new and got 5 loads, which is being conservative = .12
Bullets, Sierra Gamkings 1 box is about 30 buck for 100 = .30
Primers 4.50 for 100 = .05
Powder at 30 bucks a lb so .15 per load.

So looking at 62 cents per round, closer to 95 if I decide to go with "premium" bullet in the Barnes or Nosler line. So there is a savings but factoring in cost of equipment as well it would take a wihile to break even.

but like hunting if someone tells you are doing it for cheap meat, yeah right, same deal with reloading, you just end up shooting more lol
There is a satisfaction in building your own ammo and as far as safety goes as long as you have some common sence and can follow a basic recipe it it pretty straight forward. dont get me wrong the first time I pulled the trigger I was nervous, but I had a great mentor and did a lot of research before I started pulling the handle of my press.

And who knows maybe one day I will have been reloading long enough that I am ahead money wise