View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
LOL

So how are you proposing we keep the limit at 5 and get people to release more fish? Electric dog collars? Vigilante stick patrol to whack em? Dropping the limit or creating a size limit seems too hard for you accept? How do you presume F&W budget harvest rates with a limit of 5...high angler usage and a sign that says please don't take your limit? How does this address a problem where over stocking to please 5% of the fishing populous is ruining what could be an awesome fishery?

What attitude adjustment are you contemplating? What specific eduction program are you proposing?

Your simple statement...however sincere is causing way more questions needing to be answered before we can ascertain if it holds validity.
It works in other provinces without it being law to put back the big fish and only keep the smaller eatin' sized ones and no one is getting zapped with tazers there. I do it because I think that it's the right thing to do and not because I'm wearing a shock collar. Plus the smaller ones taste better and I don't care what anyone says. It would definitely be a task because of the strong desire of some Alberta anglers to only want to catch big fish, but not impossible.

I would start by educating new anglers about fish conservation and attitudes that would help to improve everyone's fishing experience. I would encourage them to practice it everywhere and not dismiss it simply because "the fish can't spawn in the lake anyway."

Adults can be better educated by local fishing clubs and through talking with fellow anglers (peer pressure?). When someone catches a big fish to keep it should be frowned upon and eventually people will learn. Just look at the mocking that went on on this thread when I said that I keep small fish to eat and not the big ones. That type of attitude should be directed towards people that catch and keep big fish to eat and not the fella that catches and keeps the small fish to eat.