Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Some early morning digging and adding got me:

Total Number of lakes stocked by SRD & ACA in Alberta = 301
Total Number of "Quality Lake" = 17
Percentage of Lake that might be managed as Quality 5.6%
Numbers of anglers supporting a kill of 5 = 5%
Numbers of anglers supporting a regulation of kill over 20"= 76%

Is the Govt that far out of step with the angling population? Looks like only 5% of the anglers support SRD managing 95% of our trout lakes as non-Quality.
Early morning indeed. Perhaps you should have waited a bit until you had a couple of coffees first.

The total numbers of stocked lakes at 301 sounds about right but the total number of "quality" lakes does not include the C&R lakes that would bring the total number of "quality" lakes up to 28. Of course, C&R lakes don't offer the opportunity to keep a big fish to eat however they do provide a place for fish huggers to have a photo op. Including those lakes would change your percentage of "quality" lakes to over 9%.

I'm assuming that you are using the enclosed poll to come up with your last two statistics. Do I really need to explain to you how that is wrong on so many different levels? Maybe PETA will conduct a poll and use the results of it to support their cause to shut down all fishing in Alberta? I can see it now, out of 190 people that voted on the poll 100% chose shutting down all fishing in Alberta...........the numbers prove that this is what the people want!

If you want to stay in a dream world and use the results of the enclosed poll to prove your point then by all means, go for it. The reality is that it is not representative of what all anglers in Alberta want. SRD is aware of what the majority of anglers want and they have developed policies to that effect.

IMO "quality" fishery proponents should be putting more effort into trying to make the existing "quality" fisheries work instead of trying to create more of them.