View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 09:51 AM

Default growing up in the 60' & 70's memory lane

thinking back to when I was a boy growing up in the 60's and early 70's just outside of Langdon AB, the population and growth has sure taken it all away
all the different breeds and types of dogs my family had, that I some how some way tried to incorporate as hunting dogs,
there was my faithful boarder collie she was the best cattle dog ever, but she would join me on hunting safaris for jack rabbits,
we also had a delmation and chessie, at the time, that Delmation ( its hard to find a Delmation with natural hunting abilities this day and age) was an awesome dog for finding Huns, and pheasants, the chessie was great to, also she was one heck of a retriever for waterfowl,
I also had a love for Beagles, and they were true rabbit dogs, that occasionally rousted up pheasants and huns,
those prairie road allowances , rr right of ways, irrigation canals, and fence lines were a smorgasbord, for a young boy with a single shot 22, or 410, or 20 gauge, and his dogs,
the miles we put on walking, and the different breeds and types of dogs I tried turning into hunting dogs, still amazes me some were really great natural hunters, like the delmation and chessie, & beagles for rabbits, some were just happy to be along for the walk , like my boarder collie,
there was no such thing as a truly trained hunting dog , and things like hunt tests, and, obedience classes,
one thing there wasn't was big game, but a boys imagination, with a little help from a once read story in out door life magazine from Jack O Connor could turn those jack rabbit hunts into an African safari easily enough,
what was it like for others while growing up in 60's and 70's
shoot where their
going not where they been,