View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallery View Post
Sorry for the bad field pics but I have a question about this. This is the second bear I have taken from this stand, one last year and this one. Both bears were perfect double lung arrow shots full pass through with G5 broadheads. Neither bear leaked at all I searched for this one till dark and was able to recover it the next day. The hole is enough to put 3 fingers through. he traveled less than one hundred yard but in thick skag. Even when I recovered him there was no blood where he died. When I skinned him though it seems like it is all channeled in his fat. Has anyone else experience this? Bear last year was easy to find only went 30 yards but it also had no blood on the ground
I’ve shot all but one of my bears with arrows (I used a rifle last year cause I had the 2 and 4 year old with me). Now with that said I only started hunting bears in 2010 so I’ve only shot 9.
I found most fixed 1-1/8 broadheads don’t provide much blood. Sometimes they’re ok but often it’s sparse and even worse if the bear has a lot of fat.

The last two I used 2” mechanicals and and the blood was obscene. Bears are thin skinned, thin ribs and don’t go far if you hit them right so I feel ok using a big mechanical on them. I also shoot 520 grains and 80lbs at 30” dl. The one this year and the one two years ago didn’t make it 40 yards each and the blood trail was thick enough to see from the tree stand.