Thread: Buying or tying
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
2 ways to go... start with a kit, knowing that if you really "get into it" that you likely will be upgrading some of it; or start with where you might end up anyway with better quality stuff. I started a few years ago with a $50'ish Cabela's kit, which had everything I needed for tools to start doing some basic flies. I slowly started to get some better tools (bobbin almost immediately, then eventually a stacker & hackle pliers). This year I upgraded my vice to a nice Renzetti rotary, and have added lots of other tying gizmos along the way. Even though I now recognize how mediocre the vice in the kit is, I don't regret starting there as it was a good way to try things out for minimal investment. I still use several of the tools I got in that kit.

You can find an inexpensive intro kit at any of the big box stores or online. Not sure if any of the fly shops carry such beasts, as I think their market is more for upper end stuff. Minimally, you will need a vice, scissors, bobbin, whip finisher, hackle pliers, and a hair stacker. Consider where you will do most of your tying, as that may dictate if you need to have a vice with a base and/or c-clamp.
Beauty! Thanks for the advice. I'm going to make my way to cabelas tomorrow after work, $59.95. See if I can find the time to tie, or see if I even like to.

Thanks!