Thread: Walleye Jigs
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I know its not cool or sexy, but I've gone to making my leaders out of mono leader materiel and have nothing but good things to report. For straight up pike fishing I use 80lb Berkley Big Game leader material, it does get chewed up after about a dozen fish or so but I have never had one fail. Infact, because it doesn't kink I would almost say its often in better shape at that point than a steel leader. I also make leaders out of single strand steel because my work gives me the wire for free, having learned long ago to mistrust crimps I prefer my uni-knots and haywire twists to commercial leaders.

I've used as light as 40lb Mono material with good results, if I could find lighter material I'd be confident trying it. Just have a look at the business end after each fish and replace when necessary.
Anytime someone makes something for themselves it’s always cool

The reason I went to titanium was a steel leader would kink after 1-2 Pike and be garbage. The titanium never kinked ever...................until the cr$& titanium leaders of 2019. So yesterday a had a 30 fish day and today I went to a Pike lake and caught 30+ Pike today. The new titanium leader i brought in from the US is still like new ( awesomeness ). No more Bass/Cab/Fishinhole Chinese leaders again.

Dodger.