View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 12:14 PM

This thread was intended to be a discussion of Subsistence hunting, and this leads to a deep discussion of treaty rights, and what is really subsistence hunting, so I will weigh in with my 2 cents worth as well.

I am all for subsistence hunting, if you are a family in need by all means shoot some meat so that you can eat, and I think that this should apply to all Albertans, not just select groups of people.

However where I have my biggest issue is with some of the so called subsistence hunters shooting large ammounts of animals and then wasting them, in the name of their rights. These are the same people that are saying that they are the most concerned about the future of the wildlife in Alberta, yet I have personally witnessed the aftermath of one hunter who shot 14 elk in one day in deep snow in February and took only the backstraps from them and the back hams from 3 of them, leaving the rest to be wasted. When I spoke to fish and wildlife about this and gave the plate # of the truck, they ran the plate and told me that there was nothing that could be done as it was "subsistence hunting".

This is not the only time that i have seen this, I worked as a butcher for several years, and have seen many times that these so called subsistence hunters were waiting for the shop to open in the morning, in june, with fresh killed elk meat, and bringing in only the back hams, and the backstraps, and when asked where the rest was, they said that it wouldnt all fit in the car so was left in the bush. many of them were waiting from about 5:30 am till 7 am when the shop opened and just sleeping in the vehicles, and we are supposed to believe that these animals were not shot at night?

I think that all we are really looking for is some accountability from all people groups about the # of animals harvested, and that subsistence hunting be specifically that without the wastefullness or trophy hunting that seems to be quite prevelant. I dont care if they shoot bulls, cows, calves or whatever, I just want to see fairness for all of us that care for this great natural resource that we call hunting.

Just my opinion from some first hand dealings, take it for what you will.