View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 10:22 AM

For all my rifles intended to shoot past moderate range ( 3-400 in my world) I don't bother with ffp or range finding reticles ect. I keep it simple.
Use highest BC bullet I can. Zero for MPBR for caliber and figure out on my reticle how to ensure deer is inside my MPBR and shoot. I prefer a bdc reticle for hunting and know if it's far enough to need drop calculation it's going to be on max magnification. Even a .308 can get you a mpbr distance far enough out to allow time to range and dial for further shots.. keep things as simple as possible. Reticle ranging is great for sudo sniping and range work and is a great skill to develop, but in field there's often too many variables and time limitations to make it happen.
Rifle setup is key. My .308 is set to a mpbr of 300yds with a +- of 3.5" my 400yd drop is 20" so anything within 300yds is just point and shoot I use my bdc to verify distance but when in doubt I always use the range finder. If your prone behind a gun bringing up a RF with your shooting hand doesnt make enough movement to matter.
If your hunting spooky deer that run the moment you see them even at really long range get a flatter shooting rifle and take more precautions to your stalk. JMO

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk