View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 09:54 PM

This is my thinking on the FFP thing. I hunt a lot of prairie farm land where shots could easily be 250-400 yards with little to no cover. So moving for the range finder or anything else could give away my position and end up with a spooked deer.

With a FFP scope I could memorize the MOA distances using 18" as the average deer width from brisket to back. If I know those distances I should be able to have a rough range estimate quickly. I could then use the reticle for an approximate holdover at any magnification. It wouldn't matter if it was 6x or 12x or higher. As for platform I would be shooting off my bag, which is stable. So you could see why Im intrigued by the option.

Now in saying that I've never done it, but that was the theory behind it. With my 308 zeroed at 100 yards the bullet drop is 10" at 250 yards and 24" at 350. So ranging will be important.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill