View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Thanks. I did read about peppermint and other oils. Most say it doesn’t work, the same as “natural” mosquito repellents. That’s why I didn’t even think of it this time around.

I am guessing if some chemical designed tick repellent didn’t work, the oils won’t either? I will give it a try if I can’t find the other thing suggested above.

I have definitely been beaten plenty last year and so far a few times this year (woke up with a few more obvious bites today - weird how they pop out only 2-3 days after the fact). Same goes for my cousin hunting the same and similar areas.

This sounds pretty tedious. But I sleep in my truck alot for a few days at a time while bowhunting. I wear 2 pairs of light pants and always remove my outer clothes and leave them hanging over the truck box so I not only get no scent on them but don't bring ticks into the truck and contaminate the other clothes and gear. The lint rollers have really saved my hunts this year and we were able to hunt all day after checking ourselves every hour or so. Last year I was hunting with my 11 year old son, decided to check him for ticks and his hair and neck were covered in them. We drove straight back home a few hours and I shaved his head. I also keep my hair short on the sides and neck because that's the most common place ticks will go for.

As for the oils. The only day I got an adult tick on me this year. Was the day I didn't put any oil on my pants when I went for a 2 hour walk for sheds on a shed hunting trip. I hiked 900 kms this year and only got that one where I normally get a dozen or so adult ticks. I don't use the oil when I'm bowhunting so I don't spook deer. But I won't hesitate in rifle season.