View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 03:52 PM

For many years I figured you needed a shotgun or centrefire for coyotes, until I met some of the men from a Hutterite colony near a relatives farm in S. Saskatchewan.
They’ve always had coyote problems in the area; I’ve spent many days, and shot many Yotes, on my relatives place. For whatever reason, they have largely lost their fear of people. Cautious, sure, but much more willing to come right onto the yard.
The guys from the colony use .22LR or .17HMR almost exclusively on coyotes, with the preferred round the .17
I’d have never believed how well they will punch down a dog at 100 yds. These guys skin and sell the hides, so holes are an issue. They have a few of those bolt action Savages in .17HMR and several of them are deadly with it. The guns are sub MOA at 100yds, and they try for an eye or the inside of an ear; apparently the round will usually blow up and stay in the head, so only one really small entry hole.
I’ve watched them drop dogs at 100+yds and they go down without even a twitch...
I’ve never taken a coyote with a rimfire rd. .... or with a shotgun. .223 for some, .357mag for many more, & 9mm for a good number. I’ve blown out hides with the .223 and .357, not with the 9mm. I know a lot of people use a shotgun, but personally if I’m close enough for a shotgun, I can get it done with other, smaller rounds