View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 01:37 PM

Default Second Question???

I talked to both my taxidermist, who measures back leg to nose, and a fur tannery, who measures tail to nose (shorter).
Both advised NOT to use a bear for my first attempt running a tan...

Also made several other calls to taxidermists in/around EDM.

I figure I'll pay 195 for the skinning head and paws, and 385 (55/ft) for a my tanned bear. (all in approx 580 - more or less sounds in line!) I can also have the skull frozen and deal with it myself...

I would anticipate a good finished product from the tannery as well, as that's what they do. Tan hides.

I did stumble across a couple taxidermists who would potentially buy hides...especially color phase in good shape...as such this got me wondering and I think I've posted about this before but:
now I have a second question:

I love the meat so I'm in a dilemma, if I have to deal with a hide (potentially) every spring - how do guys afford to hunt bears??? I'd go broke. Do they sell hides, trade hides or otherwise?
Forgive me if I'm naive but going by the letter of the law the hide can't go to waste, and I know some guys kill bears year over year and I make a pretty decent living, just not sure how I'd deal with (or pay for) all the hides?

Any advice on this?