View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 11:45 AM

Thumbs up Long Island

Its a big island around 90 miles long all the flats are on the west side and I have found Bones all along it.... that said the bigger key is to understand the tides and the access points to the deeper water which the fish use to access the flats. There was a big hurricane in 2012 which changed a lot of the flats so it is a far different place than when I fished it in 2009-10 I too had a vehicle and drove the island from Columbus Bay in the north all the way to Gordons beach in the south, I was staying at Cape Santa Maria in the north and had access to some nice flats close by for daily trips in-spite of the fact that I was there with the better half which if you are taking your significant other you can do no wrong by staying at the Cape in fact you will likely earn brownie points to use on the trip. If you are on a DIY boys only trip you would be better to stay further south around Deadmans Caye area for better access to more flats and less driving. If you are totally DIY I might suggest taking a SUP with you as this will really open up your options fishing wise. What I found is there were a lot more fish in this area and more flats but the fish seemed to be a lot bigger to the north. If its your first time fishing Bones it won't matter so stick to the south central part of the island. Hope this helps