View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
One of my goals for the season is to get some of those fun Goldeye on the dry fly out of the Red Deer River close to Drum.

If anyone sees them rising and wants to help a fella get a checkmark off his list I would appreciate the heads up, from what I learned last year, starting much much too late that it typically starts in May and goes through July - August ish.

With such a long time frame it seems a heads up might help decide when is the best time to head out.

Will be heading out from Calgary and it seems north of Drum is the closest / best place for me to focus my efforts.
In the evenings, Goldeye are almost always on if they are in the river. Best success is once the river clears up after runoff (i.e. early july to the end of August), but I had an epic session near Drumheller a couple years ago, right near the end of May (the year we did not really have a a runoff).

Near Drum, the RDR clarity is sensitive rain (with all the sandstone cliffs). A downpour will turn the river into chocomilk for a day or so.