View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekrivers View Post
Please do not use store bought pickerel rigs on the river, the sturgeon can not tell the difference between a slider rig and a pickerel rig. If you are using a pickerel rig then make one from much stronger line then the store bought ones from china. My friend saved a sturgeon that was carrying this mess with him, got lucky and snagged one of its many lines that were hanging off it. Also ensure you have a strong main line going to the rig of choice, I've seen too many people trying to catch sturgeon with 10-15 mono and trying to power the fish in with no technique at all.
Just a point, for the sake of accuracy... but big slews of line like the one in the picture happen because people use line strong enough that they cant break it off when their main line is snagged, therefore they cut the line and instead of just leaving a rig behind they leave 40 yards of line down there. At least mono deteriorates relatively fast, braid will stay in that hole for years...

Now I'm not disagreeing with you that you should use strong line for sturgeon, just making a point that the current trend of using super heavy line just because you are too cheap to sacrifice a few rigs or risk a large fish getting away is a two edged blade. I've taken snorkel gear and gone diving for hooks in the fall when the water is clear... and in heavily fished holes I find that more lost hooks are snagged in the tangles heavy line than are lost to the snags themselves. The end result is actually more lost tackle, and it makes a mess of the river and poses a hazard fish and other wildlife.

My point being that for general purpose river fishing I think it is a wise choice to refrain from using stronger line than you are capable of breaking off.