View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 06:07 AM

Theres only so may ways to rig a hook, line, and sinker. You can either make a slip sinker rig, fixed sinker rig, or a dropper rig like the pickerel rig you've been using. I prefer a slip sinker rig myself as it is less inclined to tangle than a dropper rig, and I find that my hooking percentage is higher with a sliding sinker. Google slip sinker, fish finder, Carolina, or Lindy rig to see how to tie it.

The only time I use a dropper rig is when I am switching back and forth between using bait and using lures. A dropper rig's only real advantage is that it can be changed out easily.

I've been playing around with a fixed sinker rig a little bit this year, the idea being that with a slip sinker if the fish runs towards you with the bait or on an angle, when you reel up your slack you need to move the sinker and the fish will feel it and drop the bait. With a fixed sinker it moves with the fish and this is not an issue, ideally with the use of a fairly heavy sinker the hook is set when the fish moves off with the bait, regardless of direction. It seems to be working but I haven't used it enough to say whether I think its a better system than the slip sinker.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-25-2017 at 06:16 AM.