View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktaker View Post
So it seems to me the biggest problem that people seem to have regarding substinence hunting is the fact a trophy animal is shot. Why can it not just be made mandatory any antlered animal that has been shot for substitnence must have its horns/antlers be cut in half before removal of animal not just skull plate but actual horn or antler. If someone is hunting for food only this should not be a a problem. simple fix to a big problem
x2!!!!! this is the simplest fix to this problem. I would even be ok with them auctioning off the antlers and the money going back to conservation. I think the other problem with this is how its been handled at suffield. We all know there is a problem with herd numbers and animals need to be removed, how they have done this by only allowing non status members to harvest cows and status members to harvest whatever they want including monster bulls that non status members have to wait 10 + years to have a chance at. if they wanted bulls and cows gone they should have said how many and split the bulls and cow tags between everybody (status and non status). A lottery would have been the best way to do it. Once those numbers were reached between each group then the hunts are over. I also think there could have been some real good money made top go back to conservation with this type of hunt and auction off a couple bull tags. I know guys would pay lots to hunt one. Maybe thats something that could be done next year assuming they need to take out more elk next year. I think its just been a bad handled situation from the beginning and it seems its one bad decision after another. Where it goes from here is anybody's guess, hopefully those of you with points applying over there have some good bulls left in the future.