View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
Your comparing two different bullets. and ELDX vs an SST. Which one has better BC. ELDX. So what happens when you change that SST to 155gr ELDM from the 308. Rerun your numbers. The 308 has more velocity which means it has more ftlbs. It wins when you compare the same bullet design /weight. The creedmoor would be even slower pushing a 150gr bullet. The 308 would be faster again. The extra velocity makes up for the slightly lower BC inside these ranges. It also punches a bigger hole. What will bleed faster a vessel (elk/deer) with a .264 hole, or a .308 diamter hole. There is zero argument against this.
Hornady make the ELD-X in 178 grain, with .552 BC, and claim 2600 fps for their Factory load. At 600 yards it is traveling 1736 fps, has 1191 ft.lbs. energy and requires 15.5 MOA. The 308 does have 36 ft.lbs. more energy but the bullet is traveling 100 fps slower so the 6.5 bullet may open up to the same diameter as the 308 bullet but you will require 15.5 MOA to get to 600 yards. Again the 308 will have much more recoil for very little gain in terminal performance. By comparison a 30-06 with Factory Win PP bullets will have 1107 ft.lbs. retained energy and the bullet will be traveling 1664 fps. I have found one of these bullets, nicely mushroomed, under the hide on the other side of a moose shot at 600 yards. The 270 with 130 Win PPP are traveling 1734 fps and have only 881 ft. lbs. retained energy but I never recovered a bullet from more than one moose after taking out both lungs at 600 yards (must have had sufficient momentum). For those who believe that the 7mm Mag is superior to these cartridges the Barnes factory TSX, with advertised velocity of 3120, has 1030.9 ft.lbs. retained energy and requires 12MOA to reach 600 yards.

The fact of the matter is that a well placed bullet from any of these cartridges, with loads mentioned, will perform very near the same at 600 yards and the moose, elk, or deer will be dead. No amount of rationalizing about what competitive shooters are doing, speculating about marketing, making claims about other bigger calibers being betteretc. will make a bit of difference but the felt recoil does to me at least. I heard all the rhetoric about lady's gun, 250 yard deer gun, my gun is bigger than yours etc. for years after I learned that the 7mm08 would do everything my 7mm mag could do with much less recoil.