View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 09:10 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kucebags View Post
For all the arm chair biologists here, and I am the farthest
From an expert. Not one person has addresses the 2013
Flood and the impact that had with the smaller breeding stock.

Along with I do t know poops but two formally productive sections of the upper highwood habe re routed themselves from big spring currents and not a fish to be seen for in’s. crazy skinny water and such. Any thoughts.
As I said before, it's cumulative. When an added flow like that flood happens the Redd's get washed away and new ones form. Water speed changes their ability to lay eggs, so if the slope is greater than they can handle they move on. The flooding also creates better habitat in other spots, which changes where they will winter. It all adds up.
Over all unless there is a few years of a fishing ban, the reproductive rate won't keep up to natural death nor fishing mortality. More years like this one will only make the numbers drop, due to the increased pressure on the eastern slopes.
The one thing I wonder about is the effect that the jet boats are having on the fry, which easily get sucked up and flung up onto the shores from the waves produced. The effects of the boats can't be zero. Any studies anyone knows of?