View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Fair enough. I may have been a bit too defensive on my assumption that it was me . Sorry... and I hear you on the Pronghorn episode.

It's rather interesting that I have three 6.5x55's -two with modern actions with high pressure loads that I have used quite a lot. I really adore the cartridge and found it to be literally lethal on Deer sized Game to around three hundred yards, mostly closer, but I have not, nor would I consider using it on Larger Game much further than 300 yds. I have larger calibers and cartridges that fill that bill much better although the 6.5x55 would be quite capable using 160 grainers. Until the CM is truly proven to be a consistent 600 Large Game cartridge, I will remain very skeptical in spite of all the speculation and I would have to see it done more than once... in real life or darn close to it, before I became a disciple. I know the more capable 6.5 Swede is not up that task. If you had one, I think you might agree.
My range is about 15 minutes from home and I'm usually there a couple of times a week during the milder months. If the opportunity arises I would welcome the opportunity to share a shooting session with you. You probably wouldn't learn anything but I might, and it would be fun.
You say you love your 6.5x55's and suggest that it and the 6.5CM are only lethal on Deer sized game, to 300 yards. Then you say you have never used it on big game past 300 yards but it would be quite capable using 160 grainers. Apparently you have not been paying much attention to what has been said and have never compared the 600 yard ballistics of the 160 grain bullet you are using to the 143 ELDX at 2700. You might find that your 160 grain falls short but it is possible that it may be suitable for game at longer distances. However you will never know unless you do the math and actually try it on a moose or elk at whatever range that it is still traveling 1800 fps and retaining near 1200 ft lbs energy.

Go back to the post where I posted actual results of moose being shot at 600 yards with a 30-06/ and 270 and you will see that bullets, looking much like the 143 ELDX at 1800 f/s, with good mushroomed frontal area and retained mass, either stopped under the hide or were complete pass trough's. I did not watch my father, or myself shoot the moose on You Tube back in the late 1950's/60's, as we didn't even have computers. However my father was a trained military sniper and was quite good with a rifle just like this M17:
[IMG][/IMG]
I also had the same result with a 140 Nosler 140 SB, before the Ballistic tips, starting at 3000 fps,in my Rem 700V with the load shown grouping 0.19" at 100 yards:
[IMG][/IMG]

I would suggest that you actually pay attention to what is being said before you disrupt a good thread with what you believe is possible. Better yet do the math, find a load that will shoot Sub 1/2 MOA, and do some testing for yourself. Perhaps you will become a believer as beliefs based on ignorance are not really credible although they seem to be held by a lot of people. Unfortunately most of those people are like the one portrayed in the YouTube video that cat posted.