View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 01:49 PM

Wanted to update you guys on my weekend.

Fished less than I hoped to this weekend. I kicked tires on the Athabasca above and below the falls. Thought I located some good pools but with all the rain, the water was really dirty. Dark colour with lots of suspended solids.

I stayed at the Kerkeslin campground and was only a couple minutes from Athabasca falls. The pool below seems petty fishable but never tried it. Large crowds all day. My son and I hiked down to the pool just to find people throwing the biggest rocks they could carry into the water. Pretty annoying I thought, especially in a National Park. If I go back, I’d like to hike down again and walk to some quieter water downstream. More bears then I’ve ever seen in the park though. So be careful if you go anywhere.

Driving down 93a passed the falls where I tried to fish where the whirlpool river flows into the athabasca, once again with no luck, I passed the turn off for Moab lake. After no luck on the river, I figured why not. It opened that day and was worth a shot.

7.5km down a gravel road and then about 400 meters hiking from the parking lot. Great spot. Fish rising all around me as soon as I got to the water. First fish caught on dries all year. All rainbows about 1-2lbs. Beautiful spot as well. Went back the next day before we left for home and found several guys walking in with belly boats and kayaks. This is the way to fish the lake for sure. Hard to get a cast in unless you walk around to the far side of the lake where the brush isn’t right up to the bank. There are boats locked up on a small launch too just like I’ve seen on lake 5 in the valley. You can call to rent those and they give you a key.

Anyway, my weekend got much better after landing a few. 9.80/day for a license and instead of getting 3 days, I just got one for the year ($34) might as well go back later in the year.