Thread: Lotting Letters
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I have attended 4 or 5 May sales, and each time spent a great deal of time looking thru the samples to see where many types of coyotes are placed in the grades, particularly the damage grades.

According to what I saw on the last trip, the Damaged 1,2,3 grades were comprised of screwed up coyotes mainly from lice/mite damage, burr damage, rubs and other such screwed up coyotes. The sew jobs were just about all in the Slight Damage grades. A lot of coyotes that end up in the damage grades have these types of damage and often it takes a trained eye to see it and is a whole other thing to understand it.
That's some good info. I always pick my best to send to auction and still manage to miss one or two and they show up with a damage grade. I also think that its possible there could be some slipping after the hide is submitted. Especially under warm weather conditions and those coyotes that have gorged themselves resulting in the belly turning green quick ( like overnight!). Even the hair slipping away from the leather in a small section would be enough to grade damaged. Just my thoughts. On another topic, I have never had this many coyotes grade " MED" usually I get slightly over 1/2 grade "MED" but this batch has over 3/4 grading that way.