View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 02:22 PM

Default Cost/time to install a scope (AITA?)

This is a bit of rant but I just left the store and am wondering if I am in the wrong.

To start, I am about 5 hours from home working on my acreage/future home site for the next few months. With it being hunting season I brought a few of my guns along. There is a store in town close by, a well respected store that I by a some of my fishing stuff from but am far from a regular customer as at this point I don't need a lot of fishing gear.

I bought a rifle and rings earlier this year at the store close to where I currently live but they didn't have scope I wanted. Not a big deal, but with supply issues ramping up I bought rifle/rings and threw an old scope on for now. While looking online last week I saw the scope I wanted was in-stock so I ordered it shipped to where I am now. I wasn't planning on this do I didn't bring my tools. I went to the local store to ask if they could install it. Here is where I got kinda chafed.

The guy says they have a strict policy of not installing scopes unless you buy the scope or gun from there but since I am in a bind it will be an hour labour. I got kinda taken back with about $100 to install a scope but talked to him. He asked a few questions and so did I. Turns out they don't carry that line of scopes and though they do carry that line of rifles he has never had that particular model in. At no point could he have ever sold me the gun or that scope so the policy seems kinda mute to me, but I digress.

I understand that stores can charge whatever they want. It is my choice to pay or not. But to make a big show of how he is doing me a favor by going against policy and wants to charge me a full hour for 20 minutes work really rubbed me the wrong way. If he had $40 cash I probably would of said sure; bit high to literally just the top rings, check torque on bases, drop in scope, and reinstall top rings but I would of understood. To say $100 plus GST. No way.

I am just going to order a torque screw driver online, and have it shipped here (looks like will arrive on Thursday), saving me about $40, giving me a back up at home and call it a day. But am I wrong for feeling like that was just gouging because he thought I was in a bind and that I will never spend another dollar there?