Thread: Bear lick baits
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 09:42 AM

The weirdest thing is I read about this yesterday evening and this morning I dreamt of it!

I've made lots of candy in my time heres what I'd do. I'd use some binder of some kind rolled oats come to mind, and some anise and vanilla becaise Bears like that stuff too. I'd soak the oats with the liquids but not get them wet, let it sit overnight to absorb. Then I'd take some molasses (couple gallons?) add some water (a litre?) and sugar (another gallon?) and boil it in a big pot until it reaches the hardball stage. You should use water because you need the water to dissolve the sugar...then it's boiled until the water is gone. Start with the lid on so the water can boil and dissolve the sugar, then remove the lid and evaporate the water.

Pour it into the oats that are already in a feed pan that you've made of wood because a plastic one will melt I'm sure. Stir it all around then let it harden. Be really careful doing this because a couple gallons of syrup at those temperatures is a deadly thing.