Thread: Bear lick baits
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pilot cock View Post
This is my 4th year baiting bears so by some of your standards, I'm a newbie. I've found that with my schedule, getting out regularly to restock the baits can be a challenge. Then, I've found that most of what the bears are into, the ravens are too. Each year I've been trying to find better bait and better ways to offer them so that the bears get it, not other scavengers. I've also tried to find things that last longer and keep the bears coming even if the barrels run empty.

I think I've found a winner. This might not be new to some of you, but I found a recipe for hard candy and I've started making bear lollipops. The one I've made so far is cinnamon, vanilla and caramel flavor. They're in a 3 gallon Home Depot pail (2/3 full) so approx 2 gallons total volume. I've cast a handle into them so that I can hang them for the bears to lick. They are rock hard and the smell is unbelievable! I also made a smaller one with molasses. It turned out great as well.

I'm having fun making them and I want to be able to experiment with different flavors but they're not what I'd consider cheap to make. Anyone interested in some? Shoot me a PM if you'd like one. I'll have some pictures up soon.
That's a great idea! Would you mind sharing your recipe?