View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post

Hey everyone, I currently have a older 30-06 which I have been using on elk/moose around home. Shots have all been under 450 yards and currently have a lightweight 7mm-08 for my mountain sheep hunting rifle ( haven’t shot a sheep yet with it). Very light weight and compact with a 20” barrel,

I have been contemplating getting a larger caliber but a lightweight rifle still and using a muzzle break. I sheep hunt in a very high grizzly density area so I am always worried with the 7mm-08 if it would be enough to stop a charging grizzly.

I am considering getting a savage 110 ultralight in either the 300 wsm or a 280Ai. The 6.5 PRC seems a little to light for elk and moose? Hoping to have just one all around hunting rifle and still keeping it really light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had a goat hunter shoot a charging sow griz 4 years ago.He walked away she didn’t. What saved him was he had nerves of steel and ensured his shot counted vs shooting wildly from the hip. Guy was still shaking and crying 3 hours later when I caught up to him.

In reality unless you want a new gun it’s hard to beat a 308 3006 300wm 300wsm etc… for an all around rifle. Personally I use a 308 with 165gr accubonds for everything. Plenty of griz in my country and I’ve never felt under gunned.