View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
The term ‘magnum’ sounds so much bigger and deadlier than it is. 2700 fps vs 3000 fps is 10% difference in velocity, do animals notice that difference given same bullet? Shooter will notice difference more because shooter will be looking at approx. 32% more recoil energy to gain that 10% velocity.

We seem to often lose sight of bigger picture or perspectives on this stuff.

Another example is a .264” diameter bullet to a .308” diam. a 15% difference…on a scale of bullet size to the size of big game animals the difference in diam. is even more largely insignificant.

Bullet construction and specs for game intended along with shot placement and adequate velocity is what really matters, not the head stamp on the cartridge.

The bullet and the shooter do all the important work so that’s where most capability needs to be up to task.

Some great posts here saying exactly that just different perspectives and interpretations.

I’ve had great confidence and seen great performance from variety of combos also. Have shot quite a few things with stronger cartridges/bullets to see game run 50-100 yards and other much smaller cartridges flatten critters more decisively so I no longer worry much about the headstamp and pay most attention to the bullet and the shooter. Stay in the lane for both and it’s deadly combo.
You know that a larger bullet diameter means that it has a larger surface area. Right? So the difference between a 6.5 cal and a 308 is roughly 30% not 15. It’s the surface area of that expanded bullet that makes the difference. If you jump from a 30 cal to a 338 its roughly 30% again. A 30% increase is substantially.

I love the part where you talked about matching a bullets construction to the game intended. Lol it made me laugh. 123 gr match bullets on moose lol

Higher muzzle velocities allow bullets to have the same effect but at further ranges. It also increases bullet expansion. So a faster bullet makes a bigger hole. All things being equal.

SD is irrelevant. Before you even say it’s Important. It really isn’t.

If you had animals consistently running 50-100 yards before expiring
Then your bullet velocity and selection was wrong for the task