View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 10:58 AM

I was in the same position early last year. My biggest advice is to figure out exactly what you want then look at boats (from dealers, ie. kingfisher, thunderjet etc.) and contact builders with your requirements. Try to find guys with the boats on your short list, get them to take you out on the river to see how they work and if they meet your requirements. Power to weight is another big thing, if you don't have enough power it will take forever to get on plane loaded up and on shallow rivers this can get you into trouble.

For me it was a 17-18' boat with seating for 5, inboard because I wanted the most power I could get in that size boat, and the same options you are talking about.

I did look at used boats for about a year but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Also paying 35k for a 20 year old boat is a gamble, pumps and motors are not cheap.

I ended up going with a custom Explorer, 186 with a 6.2 8deg hull. It was around the same cost of a kingfisher but with all the options I wanted and 200hp more power. I like the fact that I live close to them, was able to see the entire build process and they were very easy to deal with.

The Explorer outboard was also on my short list but I like the taller sides and layout of the inboard better.

Bratt, Outlaw and firefish make very nice boats. They might be tougher than the explorer but you are also paying for it. If I was running big rapids and jumping sand bars I would of went with a Bratt or outlaw, but when you are just fishing with the family and cruising the river its hard to justify the extra $20k+.

The boat handles ok on the lake, you can't pound through white caps like a deep v.

Fuel burn is around 7.5-9gph on the river cruising 30mph. Lake is around the same.

My only regret going from a prop to a jet is not doing it sooner.

If your in the Edmonton area and want to see what the 186 is like on the water let me know and we will go for a ride.