View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedubius View Post
Hello,

I am an avid fly fisher and am looking to the hard water as a way to ger out of the house for the long Alberta winters. For flies I like to use Trickflies.ca but they only carry flies. Is there a trusted website you like to use or do most people go to the local fishing store?

Thank you for your help

A lot depends on what your targeting. I suggest going to the Fishin Hole if your near one. Their awesome at advice, and have staff that know what their talking about.

One of my go to’s is a jigging spoon, often I take the treble off and add a 6-12 in leader of fluorocarbon between hook and spoon. Put a minnow on the treble and keep it just off the bottom. Or a crankbait tipped with a minnow. Like a rattlin Rapala sinking, size 4-6.
I’ll put on a crankbait without a minnow at first, send it to the bottom then rip it up a couple - few feet, then repeat a few times. Then I’ll pull out the crank and either switch to a spoon, or add a minnow to the crank. It’s the noise that will attract attention.

The Northlands 3/4 oz ‘macho minnow’ in Perch are my favs. They have a couple variations that all work, like ‘ice jigletts’ or something. I like to bounce the spoon off the bottom as hard as I can. I think it looks like a fry attacking a minnow off bottom. Makes noise and kicks up a bit of silt.

This is for Walleye, and Pike. Wire worms work for White fish, and I’d guess you have plenty of those. SJW with a chunk of minnow should work. If not the common White-Wire-Worm certainly work.

I’d suggest you focus on a lake or a couple and then search and read on the posts related to them. Each lake seems to have a lure, bait, and technique that works better than others, at certain times at least. Like a lake with low visibility, I’ll focus more on noise lures and move more to find the fish. Clear lakes you’ll want to use lighter line and such.