Thread: RV must haves
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Get to a weigh scale after you load up as the trailer will never be that skinny again! I hate to see the number of people that go down the road with no clue what their combo weighs. "salesmen said my truck will pull it!!!" Dry stickers can be off and if a fifth wheel ( I know you asked about TT), they require payload not tow ratings!!!
Good luck.
We leave Calgary for California sunday. 3 week road trip!
YES, TOTALLY!! I have a list in my phone and I weigh each different configuration that I set up for ie. Quads in toyhauler and on truck, boat on truck and quads in toyhauler, no toys, dog on truck or not, fuel levels etc.
This way I know when I load up if I need to put weight at the front or back of the garage next time etc. I weigh the front axle, rear and trailer axles separately and sometimes I also disconnect and drop the trailer tongue on the scale if no one is around to hold up to see what my tongue weight is. The first time I did the tongue weight with my current 34' bumper pull toyhauler I was at 2,450 lbs on the tongue! (factory hitch is rated for 1,800lbs)There's not a truck with a factory hitch on the road rated to carry that yet they sell them off the lot. If I had a load of water on I would have been around 3,000lbs on the tongue due to where the tank is. So an aftermarket hitch and a third trailer axle later I'm down to around 1,450-1,800 lbs on the tongue. It's scary to think that I see these trailers on the road and people have absolutely NO CLUE about these weight overloads. I weighed mine on the way home from the dealership so I'd know and dealt with it immediately. I could tell the factory hitch was seriously flexing because I had a mud flap tube running 1/4" away behind the receiver tube and it had the imprint of the back end of the receiver tube in it from the flex and it hitting it.
Then you see these guys pulling these trailers that have about 16' of real trailer at the back and 10' of deck between the rv and the hitch for hauling quads etc. Can you imagine the tongue weight going on there with two 900lb quads on that deck??? holy crap!!! And connected to half tons most of the time! How can they sell those flippin things legally???
Every time I go to BC I stop at the scale on hi-way 16 by Edson and weigh my truck so that if/when I get pulled over in BC I can honestly tell the officer exactly what each axle has on it for weight and that I am all within spec.s of the trailer and truck with (polite)confidence and that I'm not just another clueless RV'er out there being a danger to everyone else on the road.