View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brno284 View Post
The Howa is a superior action in my mind. 1 pc forced bolt not 4 pieces brazed together. Superior extraction system, still encloses the the cartridge with 3 rings less the extractor cut, easy twist and turn no tool firing pin removal, integral recoil lug, Fast lock time. Triggers are marginal and Remington tuned has them beat, not slagging the Remingtons or clones as I am a big fan but $ for $ you can give me a Howa anyday. The stainless ones are becoming scarce and I would snap them up any chance I get. The bottom metal is also much heavier than Remington so unless you blind box the Remington will save you ounces there. Not crazy about the metric threads on Howa but I usually recut the action screws to 28 TPI and the action threads to 16TPI when I true them.

I regularily slab the Howas so weights for a build are similar, less the bottom metal of course.

As far as a comparison to the Sako they are better in most ways, superior extractor, integral recoil lug, no guide rib which does nothing. It is a simple, strong action that is very well made with sound metalurgy and design! Whats not to like. I would give you more for a Howa anyday for a custom build, its great that folks are in the dark about them as it keeps the prices down!!

Just my 2 bits FWIW
Your the 3rd Gunsmith that has said the Vanguard action is a better or superior action to the Rem 700, and any online stuff I have read about both confirms this, one nice thing about a Remington 700 is available aftermarket parts on every corner !