View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Hey guys I have tied wire worms before but just San Juan's for the rivers. I am interested in tying up and selling a bunch of WW for whites in the lakes. I have a few questions for you guys.

First of all what size and shape of hook are you tying them on? I have every hook under the sun. So nailing it down to a specific hook or shape will help. Do you use a curved hook? Straight hook? Or somewhere in between?

Is there any color combinations that you have found to be better than the other? Is there days when a white one works better than a red? Or a green one better than a black?

Also what colors of beads seem to work best? I've got the whole gammet of colors. So it's only a matter digging into my supplies.

The other thing I was curious about is I read through this thread and I believe someone said that it's best to try to have your fly horizontal to the line. Has anyone tried tying a balanced wire worm? Much like the balanced leech patterns. I'll post one of my balanced leeches as a comparison. I make them with a pin that I extend out from a jig type hook. On the pin I put a brass, a tungsten, or a glass bead. I think having that pin extended out along with a bit of extra wire will aid in having the WW horizontal.

Ballanced leech pattern. Do you think a WW in this style will be effective?

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post it.
Thanks in advance
Balanced style fly, bloodworm should work fantastic as the lower hook. The style I like would be the one on the bottom left that Zip posted. Segmented. But, with a red or gold bead for weight. That or some led raps underneath for weight and no bead head. You will need the weight to keep the line tighter, especially on a Jaw Jacker. You can add split to the line but I prefer weighted flies overall.