View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeretimex View Post
after 4 year of my eskimo 6 and 8 inch hand auger i decided to pick up a eskimo mako 8 inch 43cc auger on kijiji. It runes great so far on land but this being my first auger i was wondering if anyone has some tips for the first trip on the ice comming up and what mix gas does everyone use? I was thinking of using the shtill 50:1 pre mix and i use it a lot for my chain saw.

thanks
I use The highest grade Esso or superstore gas as it does not have ethanol. I use Stihl or Eskimo brand oil as they have fuel stabilizers in them. If you use and oil with out stabilizer I would certainly put some in.

After putting the auger away I put on a gas cap that seals or seal it with a plastic bag to limit fuel oxidation on storage.

Once or twice in the summer I start it up if I remember and have never had a problem.

Do not drill a half hole and leave your auger standing up right. Have seen a couple of guys freeze there augers in and loose there legs that way. It also dulls the blades.

Late in the season you might have to take a leg extension with you. I have one but as of yet have never needed it. Have had to drill right down to the ice surface a couple of times though so glad I had it along.

When the ice is deep I usually clean the shavings out of the hole with the auger once or twice. Gord Pyzer says it keeps you blades sharper by not having as much weight on them. It also makes it lighter after you go through. When the ice is deep, so your bent over. and the water breaks through and soaks the shavings it can be a lot of weigh. I even saw a guy get flipped over his auger once doing that.