View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=Salavee;4711445][QUOTE=Smoky buck;4711430]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post

Here is where that gets complicated

What weapons are the required to be competent with and what should the standard be?

Do we start making deferent course requirements for each legal weapon style?

Are we talking a yearly requirement?

Personally I think adding some hands on training in hunter ed along with more regarding shot selection or even tracking would be beneficial to help a new hunter. I don’t know if we need to go down the road of yearly testing

Like I mentioned earlier more times than not it not a lack of shooting ability but instead people who make bad choices on shot selection that is the problem[/QUOTE

No need to go down the long road to nowhere. This would be strictly a simple firearms proficiency test comprised of gun handling, loading/unloading and a few targets.

Legal BG firearm and caliber of choice with 10-15 shots required.Less than 1 hour duration,.
Once passed -valid for lifetime.

I'm sure there are enough hunter ed instructors that might be interested in adding a test such as this to their agenda to make it work. If not ?
Adding some training/basic proficiency to hunter ED is not a horrible idea and mostly I believe it would be a good experience for new hunters. Where the issue lies is there is also a good number of hunters these days who don’t hunt with a firearm and never will.

Either way a one time deal/added training to hunter ED is not crazy but I don’t want to see it become a yearly thing

Unfortunately though this doesn’t solve the dumb people making dumb choices which in my opinion is the real problem.