View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
I have never caught a brown in the Highwood. I am sure some make it up from the Bow, but rainbows and cutthroat are primary fare.

Runoff is over early, so first week of July will be prime time. Nymph selection is fairly easy. A golden stone and a copper john or hares ear will cover 90% of nymph fishing.

There are some go-to generics patterns for mountain streams: fur ant, chernobyl ant, stimulator, caddis, and adams. However, the difference between a good day and an amazing day on the mountain streams is having the right patterns in your fly box. I am not sure how much effort you are willing to invest, but having some green drakes and PMDs if you can experience and match a legitimate hatch, it can be mind-blowing.

The Bow river itself can be very good too. Fish are a little harder to find (as an angler, the river itself is filled with fish), but they can get quite big.
ok fair enough. i am fairly equal distance from the bow and highwood so i guess il have to try and hit both!
this may turn out pretty good as the flies you are suggesting are all among the patterns i used for my trip last year so if i can get a few more sizes and maybe a few more ants i should be set!
i like to think im serious but in all honesty with the amount that i have fished in the last few years my casting now resembles something along the lines of an old lady combating a bee with a broomhandle so my expectations are not high. right now the plan is to get out and be on a river and anything else is an added bonus.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs